Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Review: Supernova by Crystal Ward


Reviewed by Courtney Whetzel 
4 out of 5 stars

Evania had a picture perfect life.  She lived in a small town with parents who loved her.   Her reality is fractured when both parents were killed in a car accident.  Evania struggles with what could have been, and what she feels should have been.  She shouldn’t be here.  She’s depressed, and is content to fade into the background to rejoin her parents, with whom she can feel visit her from time to time.  Enter Desmond, the darkly handsome, mysterious and gifted stranger that materializes out of the woods behind her house.  He promises a meaningful life, however, he’s extremely cryptic about what that looks like.  Evania is drawn to him and makes the effort to change her life, for good.
Supernova is a freshman effort from the new author, Crystal Ward.  Ward’s story is original, with exciting paranormal elements, intriguing characters and a touch of romance.  This is the first installment with a promise of more to come.  The book itself spends most of its time setting up the back story and introducing characters.  I found that some of the plot was predictable with the reader being able to figure things out before the main character does.  Perhaps that’s just a pet peeve of mine, but it made me want to shake the living tar out of Evania. My only criticism is that some of the wording didn’t flow well.  I had to reread a few sections to make sure I was following what was happening.  Her description of places and buildings left a lot to be imagined.  There were also a few loose ends, hopefully to be clarified in book two.  None-the-less, I stayed up way too late to see what would happen.  The ending of the book has a nice twist to it.  I look forward to more from Ms. Ward.

About Crystal Ward
The first story I ever wrote was about farm animals . . . I was eight. With no real training in the writing area, I'm a work in progress, learning as I go, and am just fine with it. :- )  I live in Southeastern Ohio with my old lady cat, Princess.  Until I strike it big, I'm a restaurant manager who can't cook at home and is obsessed with Arizona Green Tea, string cheese, and the color orange. I've lost count how many times I've changed what I want to be when I "grow up", but for the first time in my life, I know what I want, and I won't give up until I get it.





No comments:

Post a Comment