Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why Lesbian Vampires? A Guest Post by Lucy Felthouse


Lesbian vampires have been around for a while. They appear in various films and more recently Pam (Eric Northman's protégé) in Charlaine Harris' The Southern Vampire Mysteries is a lesbian and even to this day, books and movies are being released about them. They're not new or revolutionary, and their appearance in books and movies nowadays is unlikely to shock anyone. So why am I writing about them?

The truth is: they didn't give me much choice. When I first started plotting my story, Bite with Height, all I had in mind was a location and that I wanted to do something about vampires. It wasn't until I started thinking more about it and eventually putting pen to paper that I decided my main two characters were both going to be female. And, in actual fact, only one of them is a vampire.

Meg and Grace basically wrote their own story. They dictated from inside my head and told me what should happen, where and why. And my erotic romance set in Paris is the result. Readers so far have made the most wonderful comments, including ones saying that the story feels fresh and new. So, despite my original worries, it seems my efforts to add a twist to a genre that has been mocked in the past has paid off.

Bite with Height blurb:

When Meg spots a young woman alone in the Pigalle district of Paris at night, she’s intrigued. She has to know her story and find out why she looks so sad and alone. After introducing herself, Meg realizes that she and Grace have a lot in common. But when they decide to go and grab a drink together, they discover a mutual love that could bond them forever.
~ * ~

During Lucy’s first year studying Creative Writing at the University of Derby, she was dared to write an erotic story. It went down a storm and she's never looked back. Lucy has had stories published by Cleis Press, Noble Romance, Ravenous Romance, Summerhouse Publishing and Xcite Books. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment